Custom Registration Questions allow you to expand the information collected from volunteers when they are registering for specific opportunities. Custom Registration Questions can be applied to any opportunity type in CERVIS. These can be used for an event where you have a potluck afterwards and you want to know if volunteers are coming and what dish they are bringing. Or these can be used for long-term projects where you have additional vetting questions for volunteers that want to participate. These questions are opportunity-specific and are not saved on the volunteer’s profile, but are associated with each registration. They are asked when the volunteer registers or applies for a certain opportunity as the last step of the registration process. Administrators can always view, edit, and report on the responses to these questions. For more information on this, please see the article on viewing custom question responses.
Creating Custom Registration Questions
Any Custom Registration Questions you create will be stored in an inventory so that they can be reused as needed on multiple different opportunities. You can access the menu to create this inventory in the Information Collection section of the System Configuration or through the opportunity on which you are enabling these questions by clicking the “Manage Registration Question Inventory” button.
To create Custom Registration Questions in your system, follow the steps below:
- Login to your CERVIS Account.
- Click on “Edit System Configuration” under the “System Management” section of the Main Dashboard.
- Locate the “Information Collection” heading and click on it to expand the section.
- Click on the “Manage Custom Registration Questions” button.
- The “Question Type” field determines the format of your volunteers’ responses.
- Text (Single-Line) - allows the volunteer type in anything, but has a limited character length (40 characters)
- Text (Multi-Line) - allows the volunteer type in anything, but has a longer character length than the single-line option (up to 1,000 characters)
- Email - will only allow volunteers to submit a response in an email format
- Date - will only allow volunteers to submit a response in the date format determined in your System Settings section of your System Configuration
- Number - will only allow volunteers to submit a number as a response
- Phone - will only allow volunteers to submit a number as a response in a phone number format, including an area code
- Selection Box - allows you to create a list of response options in the “Selection Options” field, from which your volunteers can choose one answer
- Active - set it to this for all new questions.
- Archived - set it to this ONLY if you are no longer using a question. It will no longer appear in the list to choose from on opportunities, but you can still view and report on past answers.
- We apologize for the inconvenience, but the answer you provided for this question does not meet the registration criteria established for this opportunity. Please double-check to make sure you have accurately answered the question and/or contact us for additional assistance.
Enabling Custom Registration Questions on Opportunities
Once you have questions created in your system, you can enable them on opportunities individually. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Click on the "Search/Manage Existing Opportunities" link under the "Opportunity Management" section of the Main Dashboard.
- Locate the opportunity in question in the list of opportunities in the bottom section of the page and click on the “Manage Custom Registration Questions” () button to the left of the opportunity name.
- In the selection box at the top of the page, choose whether you’d like these questions to be asked using one of the options below:
- Ask these questions for BOTH individual Volunteer and Group Registrations
- Ask these questions ONLY FOR INDIVIDUAL Volunteer Registrations
- Ask these questions ONLY FOR GROUP Registrations
- If you need to create a new question or modify an existing one, click the “Manage Registration Question Inventory” button then use the “Back” button to return to this menu when you’re done.
For information about viewing and reporting on these Custom Registration Questions, review our knowledge base article linked HERE.
Article is closed for comments.