Add a New Volunteer:
To add a new volunteer, select Add New Volunteer under the Volunteer Management heading from the Main Dashboard. As an administrator, the minimum amount of information you will need to add a new volunteer is Volunteer Last Name, Volunteer First Name, and Volunteer Primary Phone. If the volunteer does not have an E-mail address then you can still add the new volunteer and leave the E-mail Address field blank. If the volunteer does have an E-mail address, then you will want to include it at this time as well. If you do not include the E-mail address, and the volunteer goes in at a later time to login, CERVIS will not recognize the first account you created for them without an E-mail address and will allow them to create a second volunteer profile.
Besides the contact information that you choose to collect for a volunteer and any custom fields you may have created, there are a few additional fields that are hidden from the volunteer but can be viewed and updated by anyone with Leadership Team or Administrator access (as well as Group Leaders creating and editing their group members' profiles). These include:
- Volunteer Background Check Complete: This feature allows you to track whether or not a volunteer has had a background check and what the outcome of the background check was. As with all other volunteer data, you can run a search to find all volunteers who have passed their background check or all volunteers who have passed their background check and have the Interest Category of Mentoring, for example.
- Volunteer Background Check Date: This feature allows you to track the date that a background check was completed, allowing you to easily search for expired background checks for your volunteers.
- Current Release on File: This tracks whether or not the volunteer has a liability/medical release on file with your organization. The default setting is No, but can be manually updated individually for each volunteer or for a large number of volunteers by doing a Bulk Update.
- Volunteer Status: This tracks whether a volunteer is active with your organization or has been placed on inactive status. The default setting is Active, but can be manually updated individually for each volunteer or for a large number of volunteers by doing a Bulk Update.
- If a volunteer no longer wants to receive E-mails from you, or has moved out of the area, or if you determine that they are no longer an active volunteer, then you will want to change their Volunteer Status to Inactive. Please note that you do not want to delete a volunteer profile for any of the above situations. The only reason you will actually delete a volunteer is if they have a duplicate volunteer profile in CERVIS. This is because all event data, service hours, and interest category information is tied to each volunteer, so if you delete a volunteer with any data associated with their profile, your data will become inaccurate.
- If a volunteer is placed on inactive status, they will receive no E-mails from CERVIS except automatically-generated event confirmation E-mails. For example, you can send your monthly volunteer newsletter out to 100 inactive volunteers and none of them will receive it. The only reason that inactive volunteers will receive the automatically-generated event confirmation E-mails is because CERVIS knows that if the volunteer goes in and registers for an event, then they need to receive a confirmation E-mail. To E-mail this inactive volunteer in the future, you will need to change their Volunteer Status back to Active.
- CERVIS Access Level: This allows you to give specific key volunteers and staff limited or full access to CERVIS. The default CERVIS Access Level is Volunteer, but can be manually updated for individual volunteers as needed. There are 5 CERVIS Access Levels to choose from. The table HERE shows what data can be accessed and what actions can be taken within CERVIS by each access level. For more information about updating the access level of a volunteer who is already in the system please view the following knowledge base article HERE.
- Note: Group Leaders do not have access to edit this property.
Follow these steps to add a new volunteer:
- From CERVIS Main Dashboard, select Add New Volunteer from the Volunteer Management list.
- Complete required fields as indicated by “*” (Volunteer Last Name, Volunteer First Name, and Volunteer Primary Phone) and as many additional fields as possible.
- To finalize the addition of the volunteer, select Submit Volunteer Information.
- You may be prompted to change the format of one or more of your entries (i.e. if you are in the U. S., the zip code field may only contain numbers). If so, correct the specified entries, and select Submit Volunteer Information again.
- If you would like to manage this volunteer’s account options, click the link in the green message that appears. For further instructions, see the section titled Manage Volunteer Database: http://support.cervistech.com/entries/21811166
Note: The system will link family members automatically as long as the family members share an E-mail address, or primary or alternate phone number.